Makar Sankranti / Pongal is an important festival of the Hindus.
What?: For those who are new to this festival, It’s a harvest festival for Hindus and is quite popular in the states of Maharashtra, Karnataka , Andhra & Tamilnadu mid January. This is the day when the Sun transitions from winter to Spring. In Northern India too, Lohri is celebrated with great Pomp. The day before Sankranti is called Bhogi and this is when people discard old stuff and habits and concentrate on new things causing change or transformation. Now isn’t that a fab way to start the year?
Why?: On Makar Sankranti, the sun enters the sun-sign of Capricorn or Makara (the Indian rashi). Therefore the ‘Makar’ in the name. The word ‘Sankranti’ signifies the movement of the sun from one zodiac sign to another. Thus, the name of the festival literally means the movement of the sun into Capricorn.
May Makar Sankranti Fill Your Life With Sweetness! May The Sun Radiate Peace, Prosperity And Happiness In Your Life On Makar Sankranti And Always!
1. Wish you All a Happy Sankranti
2. Mini Kites Ideas for Makar sankranti
On Makar Sankranti, it is a custom to fly kites. We used available printed paper, scissors, cello tape, any small pieces of glitter paper (chocolate wrap), pieces of satin ribbon, plastic bows available on a gift wrapping, old shoelace.
3. Sanktanti Special: Handmade colorful card by Chinnu’s Crafts
4. Celebrate Bor Nahan: Dress decorated with sugar ornaments
5. Bornahan function for Lil P and all her friends
6. A beautiful quilled card for Pongal at Day Dreams
7. Sanktanti Special Til laddoos! Get the recipe here.
8. Sanktanti Natural rangoli using leaves & flower petals
9. Spring craft for the kids finger kites
Making kites is something that kids will really love working on as it gives them something that they will enjoy playing with once the project is done with. All this needs is some good paper, some sticks and glue to hold the whole thing. Then you can have them enjoy a good time playing with kites out in the fresh air.
10. Sankranti Decoration at house Craft
This is done by Chithra’s Creativity. It depicts a village house, its back yard trees, the new pot in which pongal is cooked, also the lady of the house.
11. Sankranti Rangoli / Muggulu Art By Arthi
How are you celebrating sankranti. what special customs do you follow? What food did you make special for Sankranti.. Leave your comments / post links. And be sure to follow on Pinterest for more ideas!
Thank you for visiting our website. Keep Creating with K4Craft!